Friday, May 13, 2011

Lavender Raspberry is my favorite...Miss French Essence...

***
I have never tasted anything so exquisite.
***

I don't think there has ever been a gateaux more talked about than the French macaron. A day does not go past that I don't read about these delectable little morsels in blogland. These light as air cookies seem to conjure up all that is romantic about France. They might not be an official symbol of the French capital but they are as well known and sought after as a ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower or a peak at the Mona Lisa in the Louvre. A trip to Paris these days by definition means a taste of the macaron.

Are these meringue based confectioneries all that we dream of? Do they melt in the mouth, send our taste buds into overdrive and knock all thoughts of a serious regime out the window. I would answer this question with a resounding yes. I must qualify this 'yes' by saying that it depends upon which patissier has created the macaron and what flavour we are indulging in.  

I remember my first bite as if it were yesterday. I thought for a few moments that I had died and gone to heaven...sweet bliss in a bite. Crisp on the outside, slightly chewy in the middle and finishing with a creamy centre - my taste buds were in such a state of pleasure, I don't think they have ever recovered or have been the same since.

Which one to try? That's up to you, but when in Paris, try one you must. There is no such thing as a disappointing choice; chocolate, bitter chocolate, rose, pistachio, caramel with salted butter, black current, violet, orange blossom, red fruits, liquorice or lemon - all available, all year. And depending on the season there are also coconut, almond, spice, praline or chestnut macarons. NYC there is a fabulous Macaroon boutique on the East side that I will get back to you on the name...


 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment