Friday, October 11, 2013

A vist to the Cloisters

Susan invited Tony and myself to the Cloisters
last week. Tony stayed for a little bit but Susan and I
were able to take our time and walk slowly enjoying every
corner of this amazing museum. Susan invited me because
she new I would really appreciate the chanting in the chapel, they were exercising exposition there for the next month or so. There are 60 or so speakers set up in a circle inside the first chapel
as you walk in.  Starring up at the crucifix and looking at the faces
of the people around you was very moving.  The reason for the speakers was
to stand in front of one so you could hear the individual voice of the singer.
My whole LIFE I have been drawn by the communal reciting, chanting and singing of the Psalms. I
think it brings a unique sense of wholeness and order to my day.  I use to and still do listen to it when
I paint or stretch out after a workout.  I cant explain why, it establishes a sort of rhythm in my life.  When words are chanted with a pulse between two and four seconds, a pulse that "recent neurological researchers" now believe to correspond to an internal system in the human brain.  This type of chanting can help the brain to process information from the right side to the left.
This is remarkable to me, and no wonder I find it so uplifting.  I feel if you have
just a little reverence in you or even none at all if you gave this type of
music a small listen to just to meditate on nothing, I'll tell you, it's transforming.
***









No comments:

Post a Comment